April is Volunteer Recognition Month!
Gulfport Multipurpose Senior Center Foundation
Raise and distribute funds that support and enhance the recreational, educational, social and health related programs and services of The Gulfport Multipurpose Senior Center.
About the Gulfport Senior Center
- A highly significant senior-focused community resource in South Pinellas since 1983, yet open to all ages. Designated a Community Focal Point by the Area Agency on Aging of Pasco-Pinellas, Inc. since 1985.
- One of 180 nationally accredited senior centers in the country and 9 out of approximately 260 in the State of Florida.
- A service of the City of Gulfport.
- Open Monday –Thursday, 8:00 am -9:00 pm; Friday, 8:00 – 4:00.
- Offers a wide range of programs and services – heath related, social, nutritional, educational, recreational and referral services.
- No registration fee required thus providing access to low income seniors.
- State of the art Fitness Center [for 50+ years of age]
- Supported by a 501 c3 non-profit Foundation
The Mission of the Gulfport Multipurpose Senior Center is to support the independence and increased quality of life of its participants by encouraging involvement in programs and activities that promote their health, welfare, safety and dignity.
- Over 2000 registered members who are active, independent and live without mobility and self care barriers.
- Average daily attendance 200; 100+ volunteer support staff.
- Extensive publicity – Senior Center calendar of events, informational flyers, newsletter and website with links on City of Gulfport and community websites.
- Email distribution -over 600 members, friends, partner agencies and community businesses and organizations, including the media throughout Pinellas County and beyond.
- Senior events are announced in the local press weekly – circulation over 6,000.
Why the Gulfport Senior Center is a Vital Resource
- It offers innumerable opportunities for regular social interaction making seniors less vulnerable to depression, isolation and loneliness.
- It is a special place where community is found and friendships are formed.
- It provides opportunities for lifelong learning and education.
- It helps maintain independence.
- Involvement in programs and services such as those offered by the Senior Center are known to delay the progress of disabilities and institutionalization.
Make a Difference … Support the Foundation